Wednesday, September 23

Boiled Eggs, Irate Neighbors and Deer (always the deer)


Watch this video to learn how to remove a boiled egg from the shell without peeling! I haven't tried it that way - putting baking soda in the water - but that must be the trick. I did attempt to blow out an egg I had boiled with plain water and it did not work! If you try this, please let me know what happens.

***

Big happenings in my neighborhood these days, and not all of it pleasant to take. The current HOA has been derelict in communication and when they did communicate, it seemed to take on the form of "YOU DO THIS NOW" or "fork over this amount"....... because we said so."

That doesn't fly with some of us and about 25 homeowners attended Monday night's meeting, as did I. There were sparks flying everywhere at the start, when one man refused to shake the hand of another. There's no excuse for that; it sets a bad tone for the rest of the discussion. Midway into the meeting, that was remedied, and both parties shook - albeit tentatively. But accusations were bandied about and defenses were mounted. I heard that one member of the board got bonded and another sought the advice of an attorney, lest his character be defamed. This is serious stuff, people, and I would hope that we can settle our differences without resorting to lawyers.

It's not that we don't have serious problems - we do. Too few people pay their homeowners dues (they are voluntary). We need a new entrance sign and some landscaping, some people don't maintain their property as they ought and in the past, none of this has been enforced. If you haven't enforced the covenants in over 30 years - it's very hard to just start doing it , especially with people who are not naturally compliant. Some need to remember that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar (sarcasm and/or rude outbursts are not productive.)

We have such a wonderful women's group here; I don't know why some of the men have to act like bantam roosters (see image above) strutting their stuff.

Another quote from Wilferd A. Peterson:

"To be a friend a man should be tolerant. He should have an understanding heart and a forgiving nature, knowing that all men stumble now and then, and that he who never made a mistake never accomplished anything."

*****

The deer are still coming around to my yard and they seem more placid every day. Some of the neighbors want to remove them, or scare them off with buckshot. I won't do that; they were here before I was. It's true that they are beginning to overrun the area - or so it seems - but there has to be a better solution than harming them. I suppose it would cost too much to round them up and transplant them to more rural areas. Why can't we all get along? Neighbors, deer and all of us together!









12 comments:

Gilly said...

I love deer, but they can be destructive - they tend to eat our favourite things!

Do you live in a special area of Raleigh? Like a gated estate? I was confused by your comment you needed new signs. Or are you so hidden you need a sign post ;) ?

I agree, belligerance never got anyone anywhere!

Arkansas Patti said...

Seems civility is a casuality of our times and the televised messes at town hall meetings seem to give people license to be boorish in their behavior.
Getting more and more grade school isn't it.
Hope there is a solution for the deer besides herd thinning. They are just too beautiful.

Maria said...

What is happening here in the U.S. that we are becoming such a rude, obnoxious, and ill-mannered people?

I have a friend who lives in an area wit a HOA and her stories are always peppered with bitterness, back-biting, and boorish behavior.

The solution to the deer may lie in birth control in the feed. I think this is possible, but I have no idea where I got the idea. LOL

oklhdan said...

I have wondered for a long time as to when manners and civility became a thing of the past. Too bad!

Mahala said...

I love sneaking out on the porch at night and watching the deer run through the yard to the creek.

Still hoping to see a bear.. from a distance.. preferably from inside the truck or through a window.

Shiny Rod said...

Rooster have to establish their pecking order. My HOA is managed by lawyers and dues are mandatory. Sucks but it's only $21 a month. A few years back, they start going after the deliquent homeowners assesing big fines and court cost. Several folks lost their homes because of their efforts. The deer sense that hunting season is coming near so they head for safer grazing grounds. They hang out in the woods behind my house or I see them in the field outside the subdivision.

Rachel said...

I'll have to try that boiled egg thing!! Just depends on hard a person has to blow I guess!

I love deer but we seldom have any that come around our home. There are quite a few in the county we live in though.

It's sad that the members of the HOA can't all agree. I don't know why people can't get along but it seems there are always some that have to be difficult.

robin andrea said...

Meeting with neighbors can be very trying. We end up living in community with people by happenstance and not by intention. So, it's hard to get everyone in agreement when the time comes for that. I wish you good luck.

The thing about deer... the answer is natural predation, but that means having mountain lions in your backyard as well.

Ginnie said...

I like your new heading.
All you need is one or two people with strong opinions and you have an argument. I prefer to keep my distance.

annasprag said...

Your quote from Peterson sums it up so well...our microcosm of human interaction here in the neighborhood has taught me the truth in the road to $#@!@ is paved with good intentions....
The interesting thing is that each person thinks they are so reasonable until THEY are the one that said HOA has "input" or "feedback" for ...usually of a negative nature. How often does an association pat you on the back for anything...no it's always in contact because there's a "problem"....And not always presented by the agent of the board in the softest manner. I'm not sure that folks necessarily disagree with what is asked of them--but once they dig in their heels, they delight in the ability to defy authority--especially when there is no actual way to enforce a covenant without taking someone to court!!! Should 've been a lawyer. But not in my nature, live and let live, hope for the best, point out the obvious and see what happens :):)
Oops I should mention that I am a rather schizophrenic combination of cynical resident and pollyana potential board member!!!!

Grannymar said...

I am beginning to catch up with my lost week of blog reading. I must try the egg trick.

joared said...

Loved that peeling boiled eggs video. Just make sure the "egg blower" is healthy who blows the egg out. Don't want no airborne diseases like H1N1 or any other bugs.

I've always been leery of living anywhere with homeowner groups calling the shots, but know it's sometimes preferable to other alternatives. Some city official groups can be just as much of a problem.

Oh, I think all those obnoxious radio and TV personalities who've built their careers on lack of civility do influence others who are prone to behave that way -- seems to give them permission that it's, "okay! 'cause look at so-an-so, he's getting paid big money and has all these fans, so I can act that way, too." Monkey see, monkey do.