Monday, January 21

Post # 402, In Which I Answer Naomi's Questions


and show you some photos of the wedding's altar flowers. These were done by my good friend and peerless floral designer, Pam. I was most fortunate to have her help this week; without her, the wedding would not have been possible!




Naomi, the OldOldLady Of The Hills left this new comment on my post "My Big Fat North Carolina Wedding":

Judy, my dear...Thanks for answering my questions...I appreciate it very much and have another question for you. You mentioned that you get the flowers from the Wholesaler....Here in L.A. we have a Flower Mart downtown that opens at some unGodly hour of the morning...People who want great fresh flowers at wholesale prices go down there....Is the wholesaler you go to like that? Do you call ahead and tell him or her what you want or do you go there and see what flowers are there and fresh, that day? AND, where does HE or SHE get the flowers from?Well...that's a lot of questions...lol...But I find it all very fascinating...! (Maybe you want to do a post about this with pictures??...just an idea....)

Naomi, we do not have a flower market here like the one you have in L.A. We do have, at present, two wholesale flower companies. They only sell to florists, floral designers, interior designers and the like. When I have a wedding or party coming up, I make up my order wish-list and email it to the wholesaler. I try to do this 2 weeks ahead, but the "drop-dead" date is one week before the event. I can go any day to get flowers, but I won't find a full selection of varieties and colors unless I order in advance. The wholesalers have their favorite growers from which to order; some flowers come from South America, some from Hawaii or Maylasia, some from Holland or South Africa. It all depends on what you need. Many flowers come from California growers.

Our local Farmer's Market has many vendors who sell flowers as well as vegetables, but only in the spring and summer, of course. In the past, we have had grocers who would sell flowers locally grown, but now, most grocery store floral departments have flowers that come from the same wholesalers I order from. Tomorrow, I'll start posting more photos from the wedding.

NOTE: my daughter ran some "clean-up" cd's on my computer this afternoon, and now every email in my Outlook Express is missing its content. Do you know how I can get it back?
If you want to email me, use this address: kenju99@gmail.com




12 comments:

rosemary said...

Pictures and information....no place else but Judy's! Loved the arrangements in the previous post too.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh thanks so much Judy...Here, flowers are sold in just about every market you can find...(I mean Supermarkets...) Plus, your regular Flower Shops, of course.
But I have always wondered where ALL the flowers come from down there in the Flower Mart. I'm sure there must be wholesalers here, too....! It is so interesting about placing your preferred wish list....So you kind of design in your head before the fsct, based on the color scheme wishes of the Wedding Party?? And if they don't have what you want or need you adjust that idea, I guess. Another question: How much ahead of time do you need the flowers on hand to do what you need to do. design wise, etc.?

It is all very very interesting to me, Judy..And I thank you for filling us all in on everything...Oh and thanks for the note about the Cooler....!

Anna said...

So much info here! I love that! Have a good week Judy!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I live in L.A. area too and I appreciate your answers to Oldoldlady's questions. Like everything we take for granted, there are so many details we don't even think of.

Traci Dolan said...

Oh my, what beautiful centerpieces!!! Can't wait for the rest of the wedding.

Beverly said...

Your post from yesterday and today have been a feast for the eyes. I particularly like the flowers from yesterday's post.

brendalove@gmail.com said...

Our Farmer's Market rocks. I don't get up there much, but I love it when I do.

BTW, yes, I'm still alive!!! ;-)

awareness said...

LOVELY!

The flower situation where I live used to be dismal, but is better now. It is THE thing I miss about living in Toronto. They were abundant and affordable and you could buy them anywhere.

One of my favourite places to visit at this time of year is the local greenhouse. I'll go over and hang out in the greenhouse over my lunch hour just to feel it's warmth and hopefulness.

Bobkat said...

Those altar arrangments are beautiful! So classic and classy :)

JeanMac said...

Oh, doesn't that just get upsetting to lose things on the computer.

Pat said...

Beautiful arrangements!

Jamie Dawn said...

I haven't done much flower buying since we've lived in AR. Walmart has a floral section with some fresh flowers, and the local grocery stores sell flowers too.
I need to check out our Farmers' Market this summer and fall. I haven't gone there at all since we've lived here, and I'm sure I can find cheaper fruits & veggies for my juicer and blender, and hopefully, I'll find some fresh flowers there too.