Wednesday, August 31

There's a Little Light at the End of the Tunnel

Maybe.

We met with the adjuster today; who, despite being rushed to do five more houses before quitting time, spent about an hour here. He went onto the roof, into the attic, all around the house and deck - even threaded his way through the branches of the tree to locate all the damage, followed closely by our General Contractor.

Apparently (as far as can be seen at this point) we don't have structural or roof damage, which is just about the only good news we've heard for a few days. The crane will be here Friday morning, to begin removal of the tree and attempt to set the broken chimney top section back onto the bottom, after which the mason will brace it with plywood and 2x4's until he can complete the job. Eventually, he will have to remove the old, broken flue tiles and put in new ones and then re-grout the entire fireplace. (Oh, joy.) Hopefully, they will not do any further damage during this process. 

They will replace the gutters on the rear of the house and replace 24' of deck railings and 4x4's. Until the tree is removed, we can't see whether or not the new deck table and chairs were injured.  I haven't even finished paying for them yet!

Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers....please.




14 comments:

Beverly said...

thinking of you....

Kay Dennison said...

Yikes!!!!!!!! Will do!!!!!!

Grannymar said...

Will do, I promise. Hoping things keep improving.

Arkansas Patti said...

Good news about the roof at least. It sounds as if every thing can be repaired, if not quickly. Hope the insurance covers it all and you are back to normal soon.
A crane?? Goodness.

LL Cool Joe said...

You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

Celia said...

So glad about the roof, and I will keep you in my prayers and my thoughts. I hope they get the tree out of there soon and with little fuss.

Nancy said...

Judy,

It has been my experience that insurance adjusters are pretty fair and are not out to cheat you out of what the company owes you for your premiums.

I hope I am right and the outcome of your claim is your full satisfaction.

We had a lot of damage here from Irene and are also dealing with an adjustor.

Let's hope we are both treated fairly.

kenju said...

Nancy, I hope you are right, Our guy was an independent adjuster, so I think he will be fair.

What damages did you have? I wish us both luck and swift repairs!

Granny Annie said...

Happy the insurance adjuster arrived and has you guys on track. Sounds like a pretty good light showing through the tunnel.

MaR said...

Thinking of you...!!!

Pat said...

I wish the very best for you. Always:)

Ginnie said...

I keep thinking of you, Judy, and hope this will all be over soon. Were any of your neighbors hit? It is so strange how a storm will pick and choose it's victims.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I hope it's going well Judy...thinking of you in your repair work....and everything else.

Maria said...

You have been very much in my thoughts and I am so glad that the amount of damage was less than originally thought. Still there is a lot to do and I can just imagine the stress everyone is under.