Wednesday, August 17

Did You Know? + Quotes

Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two continents.

In 1900, the average age at death  was 47.

The "O" when used as a prefix in Irish surnames means descendant of.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

A chicken will lay bigger and stronger eggs if you change the lighting in such a way as to make them think a day is 28 hours long.

The average person walks the equivalent of twice around the world in a lifetime.

In 1903, there were originally eight  Crayola crayons in a box and they sold for five cents.

Quotes from "Springs of Indian Wisdom":

1. Even the severed branch grows again, and the sunken moon returns:

    Wise men who ponder this are not troubled in adversity.

2. What we have done will not be lost to all eternity.
    Everything ripens at its time and becomes fruit at its hour.

3. A thousand reasons for worry, a thousand reasons for anxiety,
    oppress day after day the fool, but not the wise man.

4. Luck may sometimes help; work always helps.
    If you do not worry about a misfortune for three years,
    it will become a blessing.
  












9 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I knew most of the facts and some of the quotes. Good stuff!!!!

LL Cool Joe said...

I never knew about the gum! Interesting.

Pat said...

My heart goes out to those chickens.

Granny Annie said...

The chicken fact was one that I knew but I don't keep a light on my chickens 27/7. They need a little down time just like the rest of us.

Arkansas Patti said...

According to 1900 stats, I am ancient. Yeah.
Feeling badly for those insomniac chickens. How mean.

Anonymous said...

I read a sci-fi book several decades ago in which the monetary unit had (in the future) become the Chicle - after the chicle gum on which original chewing gums were based. Evidently the author theorized that the relative worth of chewing gum was stable against the worth of other "things". Anyone remember the book?
Cop Car

OldLady Of The Hills said...

All very interesting...I didn't know about the Chickens and Eggs and 'the light'...In a way, it seems cruel to me...Poor tired Chickens...!

Anonymous said...

"A chicken will lay bigger and stronger eggs if you change the lighting in such a way as to make them think a day is 28 hours long."

Am I the only one who interprets this to mean that they are elongating the day from 24 hours to 28 hours, but that the chickens are given a "daylight" part and a "nighttime" part of those 28 hours? I don't think there is any harm to the chickens.

In fact (and I'm not researching this, so please don't shoot me if I remember incorrectly), I think that researchers established that a 28-hour (more or less) day is more natural for humans - inferring that the days were longer during earlier stages of evolution of all animals now on earth?
Cop Car

Grannymar said...

The 'O', 'Mc or Mac' and 'Fitz' all mean descendant of: O'Malley, McMurray and FitzGerald are common examples.