Monday, March 28

A Quandary

My mice (mouses - meeces - mouse x two???) are not working properly. Last week I got a new computer; my first laptop. I had been using a cordless mouse on my other computer and it worked fine. I bought it because it had back buttons and smooth scrolling - to which I've become somewhat addicted. I hate using the built-in mouse on a laptop, so I transferred the cordless mouse to that. The quandary is this:  in Internet Explorer, the back buttons don't work, but they do in Firefox. I use FF most of the time, so that isn't too much of a problem, but I can't understand why it won't work in IE. Incidentally, even the "back" arrow on the computer doesn't work well in IE; I have to click it 3-4 times before it responds. 

The other quandary is:  On mr. kenju's old computer, he had a corded mouse with back buttons and smooth scrolling. It has a round port on it. The round port won't work on my old computer   (something happened to it when that computer got fried a year or so ago.) So we have to use a mouse with a USB port on it, or use an adapter. I bought an adapter this week and put it on the mouse and plugged it into the old computer. The back buttons won't work on it either - and I have no idea why. 

Anyone have any ideas?  Should I just buy another cordless mouse for the old computer (even though mr. kenju doesn't want one?) or is there a way to solve the problem? 




12 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry honey - I'm the last one to solve problems. Today I have tried four times to publish photos to illustrate my post. Have now given up till it sorts itself!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

No clue what the issue might be. We bought our son a cheap cordless mouse to go with his laptop (he also doesn't care for the touch pad), and he hasn't had any problems with it. It's a Logitech - I think I bought it at the Mart.

Celia said...

Sorry, I'm no help either, I bought a corded mouse for my little laptop, bypassed the wireless as I haven't had good luck with them.

Ginnie said...

Wow...I wish I could help but I just hold on and hope for the best when it comes to the technical side of computers.
I hope one of your many commentors will be more helpful, Judy.

tiff said...

No idea. :( Depending on what kind of mouse it is you might be able to go in and program each button for specific browsers, but I'd have no idea how. Just saw it on a help forum...

tiff said...

hey! No fair - my comment got eaten!

I had nuthin', but that's beside the point...

srp said...

I have decided that the workings of the computer are beyond me. I found on a Picasa forum that several people are having the same problem I am. I don't think the Blogger fix will work as it still has the "localhost" deal in the picture and after a day it (the picture) goes away. But I haven't seen any Google people... they own Picasa... make any comment on the forum either.

colleen said...

All I can say is at least you are not trying to scroll with your fingers. I don't care if my mouse is cordless or not just as long as I have one. Most people I know with netbooks and Ipads have given up the mouse but I don't think I will ever be there.

I hope it all works out.

Travelin'Oma said...

My first wireless mouse didn't work at all so I took it back to Staples and they gave me a new one. When I got it home I read the instructions and lo and behold, it told me I had to turn it on! So the first one probably worked just fine. (I was the one with the problem.)

Peruby said...

First of all - was there software that came with the mouse? If you don't have that - look the mouse model up on the Internet and see if there is a "driver" you can download.

Second - round port = PS/2. A cheaper adapter may not have the correct circuitry to properly translate the commands into USB (all adapters are NOT the same).

Third - did you hotswap the mouse? In other words did you plug the mouse in while the computer was up and running? Always shut the system down completely and then plug in a new mouse or keyboard. This helps the computer see the hardware (it checks for hardware adaptability on start up).

I would purchase a usb mouse and install the driver if it comes with one.

Granny Annie said...

I just use the touch pad on my lap top. As much as I want a new desktop computer, the idea of all the adjustments that will need to be made, make me dread it.

Sparkling Red said...

Sounds like Peruby knows what he/she is talking about. I have no idea; I'm not even sure what "back buttons" are! Good luck with your mousies.