Thursday, February 24

A Small Misunderstanding

I got all excited yesterday when I thought that the TV program might air the photo of my kitchen today ... and I assumed that the show was taped in the morning and aired that afternoon. That was an incorrect assumption, and now I know that the show tapes with a live audience and then airs from one to two weeks later.

I emailed the woman who first contacted me and asked if they had used my photo and she informed me that the show had not taped yet and even if they do use it, it won't air for a while. She also said "we found a kitchen that's a whole lot uglier than yours, so we may not use your photo." Mr. kenju said that was sort of an insult....but I call it a "backhanded compliment."

No one knows better than I that we need new countertops and back splash, but we are always a day late and a dollar short as the old saying goes. The other problem we have is that we can seldom agree on how to correct a decor situation. He would vote for granite and I want to see what the latest favorite thing is before I make a decision. Discussing it with a friend recently, I found out that stainless steel is replacing granite as the countertop of choice, and butcher block is coming in at a close second. I really like both of those choices, as they may be more durable or easier to fix if there is a problem.

Imagine that you need to re-do your kitchen and are trying to decide what surface you'll use on your counters....what would you choose and why?

11 comments:

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Redid our kitchen last year...and although the remodeler tried VERY hard to get us to chose granite, I chose a hi def laminate with the sink integrated into the counter tops. I am happy with it and it's virtually indestructible. It looks like stone and there is no spaces for food or anything to get in between the counter top and the sink.

betty said...

"We found a kitchen that's a whole lot uglier than yours"....that's like saying, "For a fat person, you sure don't sweat much."

Celia said...

"a whole lot uglier than yours?" Oh you are a generous person Judy. My compliments.

I'd go for butcher block something that would look nice with the wood floor I haven't put in my kitchen either. I like the warmth of wood.

Tabor said...

Not stainless steel as that is a nightmare to keep soapy strokes off of at the end of dinner when you wipe stuff and it does scratch. Granite chips and stains and requires a new finish every few years. I chose a composite called Silestone although there are some other brands like it and after 5 years am VERY pleased.

Sparkling Red said...

That's hilarious! Well, some things are so bad they're good, if you know what I mean.

I have extremely ugly countertops: a paint-splatter pattern consisting of dark green, light green, lavender, and darker purple. I actually like green and purple - they were my theme colours when I was younger, but not THIS green and purple! But whatever - they hold up my dishes as well as anything else so that's good enough for me. If I had to replace them I'd get butcher block. Stainless steel is too medical.

Beverly said...

You need to show us again your "kitchen that a tv show loved to show" even if it was for the before shot....I would hate for them to see mine. I can stand in one spot and cook, crab something from the frig, and wash my hands!!!!

Travelin'Oma said...

I would like a butcher block island with a little "salad sink" in it. Of course, they'd have to widen my kitchen a few feet to fit it in. And that might entail widening my other counters. But if I had a great kitchen, I wouldn't have such a great reason not to cook. Watch out for what you wish for!

Juniper said...

I do find a conflict in my mind between "decor situation" and "need".

My kitchen works fine, anyone else would probably hate it because it was put in by us 18 years ago and is not up to most peoples' standards. I would like a new one, but I don't need one. It's on my list to do on that mystical day when I suddenly have lots of spare cash ;-)

J.

Granny Annie said...

My kitchen photo would blow them all out of the water. I could easily win Ugliest Kitchen. What a tacky person to say such a thing.

Grannymar said...

My 40 year old kitchen has counter tops similar to yours. Since I live alone they are fine for me. At least with formica tops putting a hot dish from the oven or pan from the stove down for a minute causes no major harm unlike some of the more modern surfaces. Granite and marble chip and stain and stainless steel is clinical and all marks show. Not sure what I would select.

Pat said...

I wouldn't use anything that wasn't perfectly smooth. Anything with ridges or tiles traps crumbs and isn't really hygienic IMO.