Friday, August 13

This is the main street in downtown Raleigh on a recent Saturday afternoon. The event was called "Raleigh Wide Open", and despite sprinkles of rain all day long, it was well attended, as you can see. I can't remember the number they estimated, but I think it was 50K. (I stole this photo from FB)

The imposing dome in the background belongs to our North Carolina State Capitol Building (although the one in Charleston, WV is much prettier. Yes, I AM biased!)

Mel and I were busy delivering wedding flowers while this was going on; we saw only a tiny bit of the action, which was a group of break dancers on a stage near the hotel to which we were delivering. The tents housed food vendors and apparently "soft-serve" ice cream was available (see the large mock-up of a cone). 

The only bad part of a job like mine is that you can seldom, if ever, take advantage of  events like this one on weekends. There were many entertainment acts going on and the evening was capped by a performance by the "Bare Naked Ladies" (who are neither bare,  naked nor ladies), although that was not free.The funny thing is that even if I were not working, I probably wouldn't go downtown for this event, but I like to think I might.....LOL

Hades remains alive and well and living around here. The temperatures for the last few days were in the mid 90's, but the heat index has ranged from 105 to 111* and going outside is torture. I really feel sorry for people who have to work outdoors in this weather. The guy who power-washed and sealed my deck probably lost 5 pounds in perspiration during the process. 

Mr. kenju had his every-four-month trip to the doctor this morning, and all was "as well as can be expected." The third anniversary of his stroke comes up on the 17th, and we will not be celebrating that eventful date. It is too bad we can't do a "system restore" on him (like you can on a computer) and take him back to a year before the stroke. I'd make him go to a doctor and get on BP meds!

Going to the grocery store before my trip last week, I stocked up on all the things I thought mr. kenju might want while I was gone. Several of my children and grandchildren visited while I was gone and the cupboards are bare. If I don't go to the store tomorrow, we will be eating only the squash casserole and fresh green beans I cooked today. Sounds good, doesn't it?  I do need some good tomatoes to go along with it and then we could make a meal out of nothing else but the squash, beans and 'maters!

I bought half-runner beans at the market in Charleston. For some odd reason, no farmer grows them around here in NC.  They are (according to my dad) the best choice between bush beans and pole beans, since the inside beans are larger and meatier, and provide more protein and fiber. To me, they are just better and tastier than other fresh beans. I cooked them with chopped onion and some cut up bacon. I needed streak-o-lean, but didn't have it and I didn't want to wait any longer to cook the beans.

We'll have a great meal tomorrow. Don't you want to come and join us?


13 comments:

srp said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
srp said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Arkansas Patti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kenju said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olga said...

Never heard of half runnerbbeans either...but I'm checking out that site.
What a crowd...that's why I never get to partake in such events.

kenju said...

I AM an idiot. I accidentally deleted ALL comments. Darn Blogger and their new system.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Sounds like a yummy dinner!

Travelin'Oma said...

My kids loved the Bare Naked Ladies and a group called 10,000 Maniacs. Whenever a concert I'd like to see comes to town (James Taylor, Dixie Chicks, whatever) Dee is uninterested. This summer he told me he's waiting for a concert featuring the 10,000 Bare Naked Ladies.

Looks like people in your town know how to celebrate in spite of the heat!

Ginnie said...

I didn't attend "Raleigh Wide Open" either but I'm glad they had a good turnout. There used to be a time that I loved being in a crowd but that was in the past!

Joy Des Jardins said...

I'm really glad that Mr. Kenju had a good doctor visit. Boy, we could ALL use a 'system restore' key...wouldn't that be great? I'm afraid I'd wear mine out.

What's with Blogger lately? Everywhere I go people are having problems with it. I have TypePad, and once in a while there may be a little glitch, but nothing like what I've been hearing about Blogger. I hope things get figured out soon Judy... ~Joy

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I've never heard of half-runner beans....nor that last thing you said you didn't have....Streaker something(lol)....It just shows you how ignorant I am about certain things to do with cooking....!

That event looked like it was a HUGE success!

Grannymar said...

Am I too late for dinner? Wish I could join you.