Thursday, July 8

How Sad Is It?


How sad is it that I can't come up with ten names of the people I speak with often on the telephone?

We recently got rid of both our land-lines and went totally cellular. The plan allows each of us to name ten people who we talk to the most, and those calls will be free all the time. The ten people have to be on some other cellular carrier than ours, and therein lies the rub. Most of the people I call (or call me) are already on our carrier. So, I can only come up with eight people, and some of them are people I barely ever speak with.

The telephone has taken a backseat around here since email was established. Not with mr. kenju, mind you, he is the king of gentleman phone talkers and can stay on it for hours at a time (not every day, but frequently.) I choose email for almost every communication these days, unless it is an emergency or I need a quick answer. Email is user-friendly, I think, in that the person you send it to can choose when it is convenient to answer (or if they want to answer) and of course, they can always return the communication on the phone, if that is their choice. My younger daughter, who is undoubtedly the reason the word "Crackberry" was coined, hates it when I email her instead of calling. But since she is never far from her phones (yes, two of them) I figure an email is the best way to go. But for some odd reason, when I email her with a time-sensitive message - she doesn't get it until it is too late. Go figure.

Anyway, do you want to be on my list of ten? LOL All appliers seriously considered.


11 comments:

Pat said...

I'm sure you'll have no problem.
we are miles behind and use our cell phones only on holiday to book a restaurant. The other day I lost MTL for about half an hour and was beginning to get quite worried. We must take our cell phones and use the flippin' things.

srp said...

I really only talk on the phone to my brother and Nyssa and his cell is Austrian and my cell won't call out of the US. As for Nyssa, well, she is at that awkward age... not quite sure of herself to be an adult but not wanting to be dependent on Mom... so she never answers her cell when I call. I am considering dropping her from the family plan but that might wreck havoc with the millions she does talk to.

When will this heat go away... I need to get a couple of things done outside but the humidity is back up and the air quality yesterday was horrid, which is very rare here.

Arkansas Patti said...

Can so relate. Emails are the way to go. They never get you out of a shower, off the toilet,let your dinner get cold or to interrupt something pleasant.
Doubt I could come up with 10 names under those rules. Save those two for future friends you will meet this year.

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't even know where my phone is! I couldn't come up with 5 names, let alone 10!

Star said...

I distinctly remember sitting in grade school, and the teacher telling us that one day we would carry our phones in our pocket and everyone would have their own phone number. We students thought she was crazy.

I prefer email as well. For all the same reasons.My girls respond quickest to a text message. So I find I am using that more lately.

Gilly said...

I prefer emails, though I do text my daughter a lot! I talk to my sister on the landline (cheaper) two or three times a week.

Mr. G is a non-phone-user if he can manage to be. he scarcely understand a mobile (cell) phone, and never has it switched on. (He says he only uses it for emergencies, but I can't get him to understand that I might have an emergency and need to contact him urgently. He still can't see it! and he is very short to callers on our land line. Fortunately most of my callers by now realise this)

Jo said...

Sure...! You can add me to your list of ten. The only thing is, though, I don't own a cell phone. Isn't that amazing? I am thinking of getting on, though, so I can text Phinnaeus and Marigold. :-)

Ginnie said...

I have so many friends who have given up their land phones but cell phones still have a lot of draw backs as far as I can see. I really hate it when you're trying to have a phone conversation with someone who's on their cell and all of a sudden then hit a "no service" spot.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I can't think of 10 people I talk to on the phone regularly, either. I'm with you - email, Facebook, text, etc. seems easier!

Travelin'Oma said...

I turn my phone off a lot now. I'm wondering if my computer has turned me into an anti-social person. (I seem to like everyone better when I don't have to talk to them!)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I must say, I like talking on the phone becasuse I like hearing the inntonation of the other person and frankly, it feels more personal, to me. Email is GREAT! And God knows how we all got along without it--Business Docu,ents, etc., etc., etc...This is a BOON! But for me, it will never take the place of a phone conversation, or--neeedless to say--an in-person visit. (Maybe I should be on Mr. Kenju's 10...lol)
But for instance, because of Betty's Macular Degeneration, she cannot really use the computer herself, any more at all....Plus...I LOVE talking to her, and Vica Versa.