Friday, May 21

Thanks to a wonderful blogger friend, we had a fabulous pan of cornbread last night; made with home-ground blue corn!!

She will remain nameless, lest she be deluged with requests for samples (unless she agrees to be outed.)

After reading her post on how she made cornbread with blue corn, I made a comment about how much I'd love to try that. Little did I know that a packet of her own mixture would show up in my mail. Due to work constraints and various vagaries of life that intervened, I didn't get to make it for almost two weeks.

May I say it was definitely worth the wait???!!!

The night before, we had steak for dinner, and I saved some of the beef to make soup for the next evening's meal. Soup and cornbread make one of my favorite meals, so last night when I came home from work, I mixed the cornbread according to my friend's instructions, as the soup re-heated.

Around here, cornbread always gets eaten quickly, but previous experience was nothing against which to judge this time!! We ate the whole pan in one sitting, except one slice that I saved (hid) for my lunch at work today! It has a marvelous texture and a slightly different taste than my regular cornbread (made with buttermilk.)

So, my incredibly generous blog friend, I want tell you how grateful I am for your friendship, your blog, and your cornbread! All of them have enriched my life over the last 4-5 years, and I am very glad I found you on the web! I'm still hoping for the possibility of meeting you in person someday.


11 comments:

Gilly said...

I've seen cornmeal in our local Supermarket - but it is bright yellow! Never very sure what I should do with it! Are there different qualities?

But BLUE cornmeal - a different sort? Ground differently? Or what?

LZ Blogger said...

Judy ~ Cornbread sounds good. I haven't had that in a while! ~ jb///

MaR said...

I love cornbread! but I have never heard of blue cornmeal...until today!
:)

Arkansas Patti said...

With out your raves, I might have passed as the color might have put me off. Kind of like purple tomatoes. However, now I will just have to try it but will save for company. Afraid other wise,I might eat the whole thing my self. That would not be a pretty sight.

oklhdan said...

What a nice surprise! Sounds delicious. I've never heard of blue cornmeal.

LL Cool Joe said...

I've never eaten cornbread!

Have a wonderful weekend!

robin andrea said...

I love cornbread! I've eaten blue corn tortilla chips, but never blue cornbread. I'm going to have try that. Sounds delicious.

sage said...

That sounds good--I use yellow and white cornmeal, never tried blue (don't even know where I can get it).

Darlene said...

I wish I had a recipe for making cornbread without using buttermilk. I can't stand buttermilk and when my husband was alive he would drink the remaining liquid after I made cornbread. I am too tight (thrifty ;-)--) to throw it away so I no longer make one of my favorite things.

Angie said...

I'll out myself. LOL

The cornmeal was freshly ground blue popcorn. I grind all of our flour and meals to make our bread with. When the blue popcorn became available I got it instead of the yellow because the blue is a sweeter corn. I ground the meal and made up the mix. Judy commented about eating with us so I sent her a homemade pouch as a mix she only had to add egg and water or milk to.

The blog post about the cornbread is here http://bigredcouch.com/journal/?p=2915

It's easy to grind your own and it tastes so much better! I am so glad you enjoyed it, Judy!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE Cornbread. And this sounds Fantastic! Lucky you and Mr. Kenju!