Tuesday, July 7

Six and one-half Hours Doing What?!?


The garage cleaning-sorting-tossing out started just after 10:00 am yesterday, and with only two small breaks, I finished for the day at 4:40. These photos show you the parts I got done, and it amounts to only one half of the garage. This is where I design flowers for weddings and parties. All the supplies I need, plus inventories of vases and other supplies are resident here. The only thing I needed over the years to make it complete was running water, but that was available either in the kitchen - a few short steps away - or from the hose on the front of the house. Needless to say, no one has been able to park in here since I officially started my business - Tickle Your Fancy - in 1984. I have a small wedding this weekend, and now I have a clean, neat area in which to work.

Need any spray paint? I probably have your color.

When I am designing, I stand behind the station to the left here (the white cabinet with the cubbyholes). It has a laminate top and is okay for getting wet. I bought this piece from a business that was closing. It was their cashier's stand, and the cubbies were for invoices and receipts - but it is perfect for my knives, etc, and for watching TV.....lol

Here's a better view of my station. When I have other designers with me, they work on the tables to my left. My folding tables got so cruddy that I covered the tops with Cont*ct paper, and I re-do them every year. When the weather is good, I open the garage door, which is very nice - not only for the fresh air - but because I admit to being nosy, and that way I can see anyone who drives into the cul-de-sac.

You wouldn't believe the pile of stuff I packed into my car for transport to the county dump today. I should have taken a photo of it before I packed it. I have been saving plastic wares for years; margarine tubs and the like, because I can use them for liners in some containers that might otherwise leak, or if the client wants to take the flowers, but not the fancy container. It saves money to use them, rather than buying liners from the wholesaler. I have saved multitudes of them, and I know now that I will never be able to use them all in my lifetime. So, off to the recycle bins I go, with hundreds of those and boxes galore. I also have a tendency to save boxes, and about every 4-6 months I have to sort them and take the excess ones to the dump for recycling. I still have one other cabinet to sort through before I move to the opposite side. When I finish the other side, I will show you the whole thing. It should be much neater when I am done!

You may remember that I've mentioned recently that my excesses (saving/hoarding) have begun to weigh on me heavily. I know it might not look like I got rid of much, but it is a good start. When I close my business (probably next year), I will begin to divest my house of all this inventory. I plan to have a garage sale for both business and personal goods, advertising it to florists as well as through the usual channels. The thought of doing it is overwhelming, but I have to start somewhere. Wanna help?

20 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Even though WE may not be able to tell...I know you did a lot Judy. Believe me, I know it's overwhelming. I don't envy you the task. I understand in my own small way with my garage and storage room, and it's only personal stuff...not years of business stuff too.

I can only commend you for delving in and starting sweetie. You have to start somewhere. You seem pretty organized to me. Good luck. Hugs, Joy

Sylvia K said...

Looks to me like you've done a fantastic job! Over the years with frequent moves, I've managed to get rid of so much "stuff" and have to admit that it feels good! You've got a great workspace!

Tabor said...

I didn't realize how much stuff was needed to work with flowers for weddings...but why I am surprised it only my stupidity. It looks like you can be much more efficient now.

utenzi said...

My solution, though I don't advocate it for others, is to just not have a garage. No clutter if you don't have a place to put it. But... I really, really would like to have a garage. And stuff to put in it! I guess I want clutter too. *sigh*

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Looks like you really opened it up in there. I love your work areas!

Thumper said...

Your garage is too organized! Where's the complete c-r-*-p? ;)

Only thing parked in ours (a 3 car garage) is the motorcycles. A third of it is the Spouse Thingy's already-cluttered wood workshop and junk. It's where old computers and TVs go to die...

Darlene said...

You must have been exhausted after doing all that hard work. I got tired just reading about it and looking at the pictures. But I know how good it must feel to have it done and to know where everything is.

Good job!

Pat said...

You may just have more buckets than I do.
I love your work place - it's so workman-like and practical

Granny Annie said...

I only want to know why in the world we have as much spray paint in our shop as you have?

Carolyn said...

oh my gosh! Do you rent yourself out? I'll glady pay. Gladly! ;)

themom said...

I love the feeling after a huge job like this is completed. Not that the "stuff" won't begin to accumulate again, but still a sense of satisfaction.

MaR said...

I think I need your help! your "office" looks so organized, great job!!

Gilly said...

Looks like you have done a great job! Everything looks so organised - no wonder you are so successful!

Will you miss the business when you close? How will you use your very great talent then?

srp said...

It looks to me like you are well on your way. You could sell your floral things right where they are... just label everything with those bright stickers from Walmart or an office supply store.

You can have clutter without a garage.... I know!

Arkansas Patti said...

Beware, every time I tackle something like that, I throw away what I will desperately need in about one weeks time. Never fails.
Good luck.

Grannymar said...

Why not take cuttings from the plants in your garden and pot them up in the plastic boxes. Sell then with a free bucket or visa versa... people buy more if they think they are getting a free offer as well.

awareness said...

Sure, I'll help! I'd also like to hang with you and design flower arrangements.

Carry on with the de-cluttering.... I'd in the process myself. :)

Travelin'Oma said...

You look very organized and well-prepared. Your work is beautiful because you have the right materials to create masterpieces.

Anonymous said...

It would be lovely to help you - to be in a climate where one can work with flowers in the garage and be cool enough at this time of year.

Good show - great job!
Cop Car

kenju said...

Cop Car, I didn't say it was cool enough to be out there. It was in the low 90's and I got so hot my face was a red as an apple!!