Wednesday, July 22

Please Don't Sneer at My Camera!! *


Out on the deck again this morning, I turned to look up in the woods and there were the same four deer I saw a few days ago. The daddy is so regal looking when he looks toward me; ears up and telescoping, legs ready to bolt if need be. The other three were lying down in a small copse to the left, but the daddy was standing guard and very watchful, even though he was grazing. Someday I hope to get a closer, clearer photo of them. (Click to embiggen). BTW: Mr. kenju says I am beginning to bore him with the deer. I hope you aren't bored, too.


Before I saw the deer, I went to empty the pool skimmer basket. I never know what I'll find in there, and this morning a frog was hanging on to the top of the floating thermometer for dear life. He fairly breathed a sigh of relief when I took him off and set him on the concrete. I was going to ask you to caption it for me - but I decided not to - unless you'd like (leave comments, please). He must have been really tired because he didn't move a muscle for at least ten minutes.

Angie asked me on Facebook what was the scariest thing I've found in the skimmer. I told her I'd found a dead rat, and several snakes. One of those snakes was small in diameter, but at least 3 feet long and very much alive. I had no idea what kind of snake he was and I wasn't about to stick my hand in there. So I found a small tree branch and stuck it in the basket so he could climb out, which he did with great speed. I took that to mean he wasn't fond of water - at least not when he was forced to stay in it for what might have been hours. He sped off the deck and into the woods - and I was grateful for that.

Rabbits, squirrels, moles, voles, mice, beetles, flies, bees, ants, spiders and roaches - you name a rodent or bug and I've probably found at least one in the skimmer before, along with acorns, leaves, and those ever-popular hickory nuts I wrote about not long ago.

* I went to the camera shop today so I could get a photo of my granddaughter printed. It was one I took at the beach last week and it's good enough to be kept. I mentioned to the clerk that last week, when I was uploading (or is it downloading?) photos from the camera to the computer, some pix popped up from last summer, and I had deleted them from the card (I KNOW I did!) He took my camera from me, and with a sneer, he made some remark about the brand name of it and insinuated that one couldn't expect too much from a camera like that. I told him that the camera was a gift and had been very good, especially since I know absolutely nothing about cameras or photography! Had not two of my neighbors been in the store, I might have let him know just how much I didn't appreciate his little snide remark. He told me that my camera didn't have an option to reformat the memory or the card, so I was out of luck, and it may happen again - but it was no big deal if it did.

By going back home and reading the booklet that came with the camera, I proved him wrong!! I did find a page of instruction on how to reformat the memory. So there, Mr. fancy camera shop! You just lost a customer, should I ever need a new camera. Seeing as how you're in bankruptcy proceedings now, I wouldn't be too disdainful of any camera (or customer) if I were you.

15 comments:

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

It is truly wonderful to be able to vent on our blogs. the guy was a first class jerk - You should print out a copy of your post and mail it to him. Maybe he will think before he is rude to another customer. I like your pictures and Phrog is grateful for the rescue. (If you don't know about Phrog you can read my Wordzzles. Jay

Beverly said...

Oh my, how rude can one person be. He must not be hurting in the economy, or he wouldn't be acting like that!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

What a jerk! I would never go back there AND I'd make sure I told everyone I know about the crappy attitude! Word of mouth can be the fastest and deadliest of all advertising!

Sylvia K said...

Yep, our blogs are indeed a great place to vent and, yes, the guy is a jerk! Great shots!

srp said...

The toads around here are out in full force... tonight I saw a big momma toad, a teen toad and several itty bitty teensy tiny baby toads. Daisy love to jump around and chase them... but I hope she doesn't decide to try and eat them... I think they would taste very, very bad.

amarkonmywall said...

Ha! I think your camera is fine. Your deer pictures are not boring me in the least. It's kind of you to put that little label in there "deer."

Poor froggie. And ewww- a rabbit in the skimmer??

John said...

The deer are such beautiful creatures. The only way I could tire of them is when they wander to the highways. Those toads really are out in full force. Every morning I am greeted by a huge frog when I open my garage door (it's not attached to the house--unfortunately). Luckily I haven't ran over it.

I just can't imagine a clerk being so rude! Of course you know what I mean, since you work with the public. You just DON'T treat people like that!

That little punk at the camera shop should've told you that it is very easy to unknowingly upload pics from your computer BACK into you camera/memory card. I did that once (and was happy since it was grandkid's pics that I didn't even take). I tried to do it another time and it didn't work! Anyway that kid's customer service was just unacceptable...but you know that. Good for you not going back to that place.

I haven't seen a skunk in a long time (thank God), but we did have a skunk after the chickens the other day!

John said...

I really shouldn't post comments so late at night LOL...I meant to say I haven't seen a SNAKE in a long time, but yes a skunk the other day!

Pat said...

Oooh goody! I thought I was the only one who only read the manual as a last resort. I still have to come to grips with the new TV and recorder blurb. The boys despair:)

Tabor said...

Digital camera technology changes so rapidly that, for a while there, any digital camera more than a year old was ancient. If you took it in to repair they would tell you how not worth it repair was and to buy a newer camera! We used to find baby bunnies in our skimmer...so sad as they had drown.

Granny Annie said...

My family cringes in horror when I pull out my Sony Mavica digital camera that looks like a movie camera! I have a newer one but this is still my favorite. Wonder what your photo guy would have to say about it?

Hey, I only know you through blogger and yet I know you well enough to guess what you might have said to that guy had you not had others in the store. Wish you coud have let him have it. LOL!

I am afraid that at first glance I thought your frog was a pile of
dog do:)

Gilly said...

Its the person behind the camera that makes the photo good, not the camera!!

No, things are not good. X

Arkansas Patti said...

Know you would have felt better letting him have a bit of your spleen but I think bankruptcy is a just punishment. Of course his attitude totally explaines his financial condition.

robin andrea said...

You do find interesting things in your pool skimmer. Yikes. Glad you got there in time to save this cute little frog.

That guy doesn't know the first thing about customer service. He should get a new job, preferably one where he doesn't get to insult people. What a jerk.

Darlene said...

How noble of you; rescuing all those critters from your skimmer.

I took my visiting granddaughter, Sarah, to the pool only to find that there was a dead rat in the skimmer. Her mother and I whisked her home for a shower with anti-bacterial soap after discovering the vermin. Sarah was so disappointed.