Thursday, July 9

The Keys to My Karma*


*That's the name of my current toenail polish - but it makes a great post title, doesn't it? Click photo to embiggen.

I found all these keys on Tuesday when I was cleaning out a cabinet in the garage. All of them came from my parent's house after they died, and the last one was in 1995, so it's been over 14 years. The one on the upper right is my old skate key, and it says "Chicago Skate Co." on it. It's at least 63 or 64 years old. I got my first set of skates when I was about five.

The round thing to the left of it is a screwdriver, made to be placed on a key ring. I used to have it on my key ring and then took it off. Of course, I needed it the day after I removed it. (and then misplaced it). Always happens, doesn't it? I think you can read it if you click to enlarge. The opposite side has a four-leaf-clover and says Made in U.S.A.

The one in the middle, with a "handle" is a clock key. It says PM (enclosed in a circle) and the words Made in West Germany, with the number "7" on the opposite side. The key just to the lower left of the skate key says Atkinson Long Mfg. Co. New York, NY, with the number T6662. The opposite side says "Everlasting Lock".

Two of the skeleton keys say "Corbin" ; one has the number P12 and the other says H50.

Thanks to a tip I got from Grannymar on Wednesday, some of these keys will be spray painted, and hung on my Christmas Tree with ribbons come December.


17 comments:

JeanMac said...

What a great idea to save the keys. Probably they are worth money to collectors.I had forgotten about skate keys!

Grannymar said...

Don't sell them, keep the memories they are a link to the past and some day can be handed down to your grandchildren.

I suggest you put a hard copy of this post or another version in the box of Christmas decorations as living history for your Grandchildren. Better still do it by hand and that way they will remember what your handwriting was like.

utenzi said...

I've seen keys like that before, Judy, but I've never owned any. My grandmother's hotel used skeleton keys but that's been closed for nearly 40 years. The screwdriver thingy is interesting. I'd never seen one like that before.

Sylvia K said...

Great post and photo! Really interesting keys and a great idea for the Christmas tree!

oklhdan said...

I agree, they would look great on a Christmas tree. Along that same line I am going to put all my mother's old clip-on earrings on my Christmas tree this year along with some of her other beaded costume jewelry.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Very interesting keys! I love the idea to use them as Christmas ornaments - even if you tied a shiny red ribbon on them and left them as they are, it would be really neat looking.

srp said...

They would also look great mounted in a shadow box and displayed... but the Christmas ornaments is a great idea too!

Darlene said...

It's wonderful when we have memories of the past in such small packages. They don't take up much room and will become more valuable with age.

I wouldn't spray paint them, I would put pretty ribbons through the holes and hang them as ornaments. But then that's just me.

Pat said...

We have a collection of keys in the sun room - some of them really big and heavy. You wouldn't want to drop one on your tootsies

Ginnie said...

I love the idea of putting the keys on a Christmas tree. I could kick myself because I threw out a box of old keys just months ago!

Star said...

I recognized that skate key immediately. I can't believe you know what all those keys are for. I have keys on my current key ring that I am not sure about! Love the ornament idea. Especially for the skate key.

Jan said...

I have had a pleasant life with a lot of accomplishments I am proud of, but among them is that I still have my skate key.

joared said...

Neat idea. I've saved a bunch of keys I sometimes use as therapy items. Now I will have a use for them when I stop working.

Will have to tell my daughter about oklhdan's idea for my old costume jewelry earrings.

Arkansas Patti said...

Think Powerful Pete should go back on your key ring. If you don't, you know you will need him again.

John said...

That was certainly an interesting and unique post! I still have to use a skeleton key on one of my doors! And I recognize the clock keys too!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh what a wonderful Collection, Judy...(Sorry it took me so long to get here...) And what a GREAT idea for a way to save them and make them pretty and useful! I haven't thought about a 'skate key' in probably almost 70 years...lol! Thanks for sharing these, my dear.

colleen said...

I always wanted to have a job naming nail polish and lipstick. I have a few saved keys like that.