Thursday, June 19

More from the Beach!


A colorful ending to a perfect day. This doesn't do it justice, of course. The colors were spectacular. Earlier that day, we'd had a horrific storm, with thunder and lightning, and hail was predicted - but didn't materialize. The wind was unbelievably strong during the storm, and steady during the whole time we were there. I got very little sunburn, but I am burned - the wind did it, in spite of gobs of sun block. Next time we go there, I am wearing a floor-length terrycloth robe on the beach! (Click to embiggen)

This is what we saw when we leaned out over our balcony. I suppose when you are there on an employee discount, you are not given beach front rooms. We would have preferred it, of course, but we're not about to "look that gift horse in the mouth!"

Beds of red and yellow hibiscus were everywhere on the grounds of the hotel, as were other flowers. It was truly a feast for the eyes.

This is a flowering palm tree. The photo doesn't do it justice; the burgundy-colored spikes were very pretty.

This little gull was so tame that he walked up to within six feet of our canopy, looking for a handout. We had nothing to give him, so he walked away dejectedly.

Mr. kenju and our son. Everyone got quite a walking workout during our stay. Beach access required walking further than we wanted. The boardwalk went out over the dunes, but then turned right and sloped downward for about 40 feet. This required no stairs to navigate, but it did add quite a few steps to the process. Since we had our own chairs and canopy, and didn't plan to rent from the hotel, we had to go further down the beach to set up than everyone else did. We all needed the exercise, though, so it was beneficial in the long run. Our weather was nearly ideal, save two very strong, but short-lived storms. The rest of the time, it was sunny, clear and breezy. A good time was had by all.

18 comments:

Weary Hag said...

I so love the father/son beach walk picture. Can you say "Courtship of Eddie's Father" ??
Remember that little show?

I'm so happy you're having a great time.

We've had some quick but awesome T-storms in New England lately also! They are simply delicious.

JeanMac said...

Love those sandy beaches and four stars!

Ginnie said...

I'm green with envy but happy you can get away and enjoy !!

flleenie said...

What amazes me is the biological order of things. When you blow least 45 mph, it's done.

Star said...

We prefer a beach view too, but tha garden view is quite lovely. Glad to hear you all had fun.

Bear Naked said...

Sounds like you all had a good time and a nice rest also.
I love walking on the beach, I find it quite calming to my senses.

Star said...

Hi Judy.Michele sends me back. Those beach pictures do have me yearning for some fun in the sun.

Granny Annie said...

You are making me look forward to our Corpus Christi trip in September. However I am a bit afraid it will still be hurricane season.

I misread you comment about the terrycloth robe and thought I would find you somewhere in that photo. I blew it up and looked and looked and then read the entry again. Oh well, I got a good look at that picture. LOL

millie garfield said...

I enjoyed every word and picture you put up!! That picture of the ocean was incredible!

I used to chase the sea gulls on the beach trying to get a picture of them, when they heard me coming, they flew away but I kept trying. It was fun.

The hotel sure was special and most of all, you were sharing all this with your family, just wonderful!!

Dianne said...

I've been enjoying all your vacation posts. This one is really lovely, the Father/Son photo is touching :)

tiff said...

Look how well Mr Kenju is doing - what with all the beach walking and whatnot y'all must be feeling the burn on those leg muscles.

How wonderful to get away for a few days.

Wendy said...

Oh your pics are absolutely delightful! I loooooove the ocean! And the hibs are really pretty.
Too bad for the seagull. I was at the beach one summer and a seagull stole my sandwich! So, no sympathy from me!
Thanks for posting those awesome pics. Glad you had such a good time.

rosemary said...

Steve must have a zillion Marroitt points because that is his hotel of choice. I love them. We used his points to go to Hawaii several years ago and are going to do that again next month. You deserve the best Judy!

sage said...

Nice shots, I've just posted more beach shots too.

brendalove@gmail.com said...

Wow, can I come down and hang out with you guys? I am glad you are having a good time. And take that lil' seagull some leftovers!

Bud said...

Judy, what a beautiful place. I tried for reservation-they are booked for most of summer.

Anonymous said...

Still a nice view though

Anonymous said...

It sounds and looks like it was such a lovely time.