Sunday, December 30


Have you ever looked at my profile picture? A friend said something to me recently about my blog and mentioned the "little picture thingy on the right", which she had never looked at. So, here it is in easily readable size. I'm starting a new series; one I will call Judyisms. This one is a lesson about jumping the gun:

After I returned home from delivering the wedding Saturday, I was puttering around in the garage putting away supplies and idly thinking about the next event. I didn't hear the phone ring, and when I went into the house at 3:15, I was surprised to see the red light blinking to show we had a message. I checked the caller ID, and it was from the church where the wedding was taking place. I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach; calls from the church cannot ever bode well. Listening to the message (which came at 2:50), I heard the bride's sister say they could not find the kissing balls for the flower girls, and she asked me to call on her cell phone. The wedding had started at 3pm, so I was frantic - but I knew they HAD NOT ordered any kissing balls for flower girls - in fact, they had not ordered anything for flower girls!

I called her, leaving a message to that effect, asking her to call me after the wedding and I would explain. For an hour and 20 minutes, I worried. Every possible thought ran through my mind....."What if the bride thought she had ordered them? What if I dropped the ball on this one? (knowing I had not, but still - I wondered.) I discussed it with my daughter, mr. kenju and mr. kenju's brother. Each offered their ideas and solutions (none of which were workable).....LOL. Finally, my cell phone rang. It was the bride's sister again, who said..."I am so sorry that I put you through that. My sister (the bride) knew she had not ordered anything for the flower girls, and I called you before I asked her about it. We thought she had ordered the kissing balls for them, and I am sorry that we called you before we cleared it up."

The moral of the story:
HOLY COW, people! Get the facts straight before you jump the gun and stir up trouble!!

22 comments:

Panthergirl said...

Judyisms!!!! I love that!!!!

Here via michele but will be back... my sister just called...this could take awhile. ;)

Star said...

What is a kissing ball?

Rick Rockhill said...

yeah, what IS a kissing ball anyway?

There is a woman I work with who is a Judi with an "i" not a "y". Anyway she has judi-isms too...we call her Rabbi Judi.

JeanMac said...

amen to that!!!

Anonymous said...

A "kissing ball"??? Sounds like an expanded version of spin the bottle! LOL!

I'm glad to see your icon in all its glory!

Granny Annie said...

Judy, if that contact had not been by telephone do you think you might have punched someone? I think I would have......I'm going to be a champion fighter in my next life.

Celestine said...

kissing ball? anyway are you a wedding planner or something??

whimsical brainpan said...

I also don't know what a kissing ball is.

I would have been beside myself if I had to go through that.

Peter said...

A segment with lots of potential Judy.
I'm with most others, dunno what a kissing ball is.
Like the avatar now I can see what it is.

Bobkat said...

Something like that would worry me too! Glad it was all sorted out and the moral of your story is definitely worth heeding!

I know what a kissing ball is (looks smug). Thanks for sharing this cautionary tale.

Michele sent me this time!

Beverly said...

Wow, I haven't stopped by since you said you were taking a break. I've missed it all. The flowers are great. You are so creative.

I'm sure you were relieved to know that was not your error, but I, like you, would have been stewing for sure.

Ginnie said...

Thanks for blowing the profile picture up....it's really cute and I never got it before.
Have a Happy New Year, Judy...

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Somehow, the phrase "kissing balls" doesn't sound right....

Andi said...

I am glad that it turned out well... nice bride instead of Bridezilla. I like the Judyisms...but thought you were talking about Judaism at first (which made me smile as I enjoy learning about Judaism).

Sara said...

Hello, Michele sent me...to say People need to do that a lot - quit jumping the gun...

And, what the heck is a kissing ball???

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...Oh My Lord! How Horrific that must have been Jusy....! Indeed, Indeed! GET THOSE DAMN FACTS STRAIGHT! LOL!

I love the idea of "JudyismS" and as someone who is Jewish, I LOVE the play on words aspect, too! I know you didn't mean that---But it makes me smile to consider that, too!

A VERY VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS, MY DEAR! MAY 2008 BRING NOTHING BUT JOY AND GOOD HEALTH TO ALL YOU AND THOSE YOU LOVE SO DEARLY, MY DEAR!

Bud said...

No kissing balls at any of my weddings. I just knew it wasn't me!! Anyway, you are a very special lady and I thank you for all of your support. Have a wonderful 2008. Bud

Eddie said...

Judy,
Happy NY!

Pat said...

I recognise your pain. Ouch! at least she had the grace to apologise and admit her mistake. That's the trouble with being conscientious one doesn't half suffer from time to time.
Kissing balls... Trust old Hoss:)

Dianne said...

My clients do that to me ALL the time. And no matter how often it happens I still react with nerves and "agida" - my son calls it my own personal terrorist alerts.

sage said...

I'm lookin for the Judyisms. As for weddings, they seem to make even the most logical people crazy! Happy New Year Judy.

Anonymous said...

I like Judyisms. :)
Great idea.
~S