Monday, November 26

Norman Rockwell 6



Rockwell and the Scouts go back a long way. In 1912, when he was 18, Rockwell went to see the editor of Boy's Life, having learned that the Boy Scouts were about to publish a magazine by that name. He wanted to become one of the first illustrators. After making 3-4 paintings for them, the art editor accepted two and asked Rockwell to make 3 more covers, and gave him a $75 check. That must have been a small fortune in 1912, especially for a teenager!
In 1916, one of his paintings was accepted by the Saturday Evening Post, and he left Boy's Life. But in 1925, the Scout's published a calendar with one of Rockwell's earlier paintings on it - and it was in instant success. His last calendar painting came in 1976, when he was 80.


Note: We decorated Sullivan's Restaurant today and then we started at the Governor's Mansion. I was surprised to see the governor walk into the ballroom dressed in a sweatshirt and jeans. As he extended his hand, I shook it and said ...."Governor, it is very surprising to see you in jeans and sweats!" He replied that he was going to put on his "governor suit" in a few minutes. I liked seeing him in regular clothes, as it proves he is a "regular" person. I found out that he is a woodworker in his spare time, and as such, he will appear on "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS sometime in the near future. He has made three tables, one of which is a beautiful trestle table with a gorgeous finish. I don't know what kind of wood he used, but it is lovely.


13 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Some governors are more down to earth than others. Like: Contrast Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee.

Travelin'Oma said...

Thanks for the Norman Rockwell insights. I love seeing the world through his eyes.

Anonymous said...

Cool that you got to meet the governor in his grubbies.

Anonymous said...

Remind me never to talk about Rockwell around you...otherwise, pretty cool post.

Blonde Goddess said...

I'm a big fan of Rockwell. It reminds me of magazines at my great-grandmother's house. She saved everything and there were old magazines with Rockwell on the cover. I used to look through them as I ate cherry-vanilla ice cream cones.

Beverly said...

I love seeing the posts about Norman Rockwell. They do take us back to a different time, don't they.

That is cool that you got to meet the governor.

utenzi said...

Boy scouts and politicians. Such a contrast, Judy.

Anonymous said...

I love Rockwell!!! And your governor sounds like a neat guy!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I love that the Governer came in while you were decorating nd he looked like a "REAL" Person! That does make him more human, desn't it? Can't wait to see what you did this year for The Mansion!

Love that Rockwell, Judy....It is such a sweet wonderfully drawn painting...It is amazing the anount of 'feeling' he got into ALL his work....! $75. in 1912...WOW, that would be like $7,500. today...if not more!

rosemary said...

It has been a year since I first started reading your blog. I remember all of the beautiful pix of your floral designs and places you had decorated for the holidays last year. You are such a jewel, Judy. Your blog has so enriched my life and I love looking at your creations and seeing your talent on display.

Maya's Granny said...

Because there are so few people in Alaska, we get to know our governor as a real person. We pass her walking to work and going out for lunch and she smiles and greets people. She is very friendly to kids and dogs.

Our last governor was not like that, and he was also a crook.

Shephard said...

That's one of my favorite Rockwell's... because it's less muddy in tone. :)
~S

sage said...

You can't get much more American than Rockwell!

As for the governor (is it still Mike Easley?), was he wearing a Carolina Blue or a State Red sweatshirt?