Saturday, November 24

And the Decor Season Begins...



Faux garland and ribbon atop an antique armoire at The Cardinal Club, Raleigh, NC. It is almost as tall as the ceiling, so there isn't much room to do anything exciting. The first time I did this piece, it was in the main dining room, and the high ceilings allowed us to place a gilded deer family on top, sitting amid greenery and ribbons. It was a great focal point.



This garland and wreath hang behind the main desk in the lobby of the club; greeting members and visitors alike all through the season.



The newel and staircase at The Cardinal Club. Always garlanded and beribboned, the staircase is the focal point of the lobby. The 18' tree sits in the semi-circle formed by the curve of the stairs. I can only show you the top of the tree (next photo). It is hard for me to take photos of the lower part of the tree because you have to shoot it while backlit from the 2 storey windows behind it.


Decorating this tree is not easy! You can do the top only by leaning out over the stair railing, or by reaching through it. One has to be a sort of daredevil to attempt it. My forte is bows and ribbon. I did 99% of the bows and ribbons in these photos.


We did this tree today at Brier Creek Country Club. It is in the main ball room of the club. The main colors we used were burgundy, antique gold and purple, because they lend themselves to the carpet and wall colors of the club. You'd be surprised at how many brides ask if the colors can be changed to fit the color schemes of their weddings!


This is the main tree in the lobby of this club. It is (I think) 15' tall. Twig deer lie and stand at the base of the tree, along with wrapped presents.


One of the many wreaths we hang at Brier Creek. I think there are about 25 of them, in sizes ranging from 6' in diameter to 24" ones, for doors. Every two years, we take out the old lights and replace them, re-do the ribbons and change out the ornaments.


One of four carriage lamps flanking the entrance doors of the club. I caught the ribbons in a very rare moment of stillness. Usually they are blowing in the wind.


Today was another 8 1/2 hour marathon of ribbons, lights, wreaths and garlands. Tomorrow we do the Capital City Club, and I hope to have time to take more photos to show you. All of the decor here is artificial, since it has to remain in place for more than a month.

Monday we do Sullivan's Restaurant and then we start the Governor's Mansion, where everything has to be fresh, most of which is cut from the mansion grounds or other state properties.

If you have access to the latest issue of "Our State" (a North Carolina Magazine), please check out the photos from last year's Mansion decor. On P. 97, there is an interesting article about the Mansion and Christmas decor, and my employer, Mel Day, of Dogwood Tree Florals.

20 comments:

Beverly said...

Judy, thanks for the great photos. Makes me think I need to get some stuff out.

Anonymous said...

Pretty. It helps take my mind off how full I still feel, having too much pie still around.

I added a new link at the bottom of my post of a close up flatfooting example.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those decorations are absolutely gorgeous!

Michele sent me on over and I am very glad! We have family living in North Carolina. I will have to tell them to stop by those clubs and check out the decorations.

BreadBox said...

Looks like a busy season ahead for you, Judy -- I hope that you managed to snatch a few moments for yourself in the craziness!

Michele sent me this time,
N.

Anonymous said...

Judy, you are such an inspiration! :)

JeanMac said...

Just beautiful!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Wow, these are so spectacular, Judy. It must be fun to do this for a living, although is doing your own home a bus man's holiday? So far I can't even think about it even though many houses on the street have already decorated. I usually put my tree up the second weekend in December. I've decided to dramatically downscale this year--first time in my adult life. I just don't feel like doing a big tree again and even priced some artificial ones. I guess I'm not ready for artificial either, but surely nothing taller than 5'.

I look forward to the next batch of pictures.

Travelin'Oma said...

You do beautiful work. I'm "bow-challenged" and admire somebody who can tie ribbon so elegantly.

craziequeen said...

Michele sent me to see you today, Judy.

I do so admire these decorations you do, I struggle to decorate my own house, let alone anywhere else.

Very beautiful, honey :-)

cq

Joy Des Jardins said...

How very beautiful it all is Judy. I just love this season....and all it's magnificent decorations. Yours are just lovely.

Anonymous said...

Well, it seems that Christmas is almost here!

rashbre said...

I remember you doing something like this last year - most impressive.

I did find the box with the dex from last year today, but its a bit early for me to start putting anything up.

Chancy said...

Just lovely Judy. I wish I had someone like you to decorate my Christmas tree

Omykiss said...

Looks like ribbons are in this year then? I might need to upgrade my usual tree efforts. sigh!

Anonymous said...

I haven't changed my blog clothes from yesterday yet either. Hope you're having a relaxing Sunday! Michele too.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I always soooo enjoy seeing what you decorate each year Judy...I remember the Govs. Mansion from last year very very well...I am amxious to see what this years decor will be!
All the things you have shown us so far are quite amazing and BEAUTIFUL! You must be exhausted and getting more so as the days go by....! I hope you will get some rest inbetween these 8 and almost 9 hour days!

Pat said...

Now don't tell me you do it at home also?

Jamie Dawn said...

You do ribbons and bows very well!!!!!

I like the twig deer.

Blonde Goddess said...

I will never have such beautiful decorations. I'm 'decorating impaired'. Normally I try to decorate and my three daughters go behind me and fix everything so it looks nice.

LOL...

I can cook though!

Shephard said...

I love the tree at the Country Club!
~S ;)