Friday, May 4

Two....... (Minus One)

Recently I told you that my son was going to let his daughters each adopt a puppy. They wanted the Japanese chin dogs, but those had already been adopted by the time their application arrived. So they decided to attend another rescue dog adoption event - and they did - but there were no puppies available. Then they contacted a local breeder, who had a pair of chihuahua pups for sale. They brought the puppies home recently.

They were described as tiny balls of fuzzy love and kisses; I was anxious to see for myself. The call came this morning; one puppy died last night. The pups had worms and they were medicated at the vet's office and sent home to get well. Apparently one of them had been sick last night, and aspirated the contents into her lungs. She died after her new little owner, my nine year old granddaughter had gone to sleep for the night. Her mom and dad woke her up this morning to tell her the news, and while she was understandably upset, she opted to go on to school today. They promised another trip to the breeder this weekend. I am just so sorry for her.

Once when I was about 9-10, my dog was hit by a car and killed instantly. She was a silky, black cocker spaniel and the love of my life. My mom and dad wanted to replace her as soon as possible, and so they got a new puppy, a tiny ball of black and white fluff, of indeterminate parentage. I can't even remember what I named her. I had her for about 1 week and someone poisoned her food, which my mom had left out on the porch (off our fenced yard). I was devastated, in the way that I know my little grand-girl must be too. It is so hard to understand things like this when you are young. I hope that G______ will be able to put this behind her soon, when she gets another new puppy.

31 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh! That is so sad! Poor little girl, I hope that a new puppy will at least "help" a bit.


Hi from Michele.

Claude said...

Poor child. Seeing a pet die is so sad.

Anna said...

That is so heartbreaking. My heart goes out to her. This is one of those lessons that could have waited until later. I do hope that she meets another furry friend soon and her heart is on the mend....

ET said...

I think I was about 7 when my first dog got ran over. My sister and I both cried.
I had 3 "man's best friends" since and each time one died, I lost a loved one.
Now, after about 8 years without a dog we are thinking about it again.
Good luck on your granddaughters'.

Star said...

That's one of those "life lessons" that are so hard. had a similar experience whe I was about 11. My dog was hit by a car and died instantly. New puppies do make things better though. Hope your granddaughter feels better soon.

Mr. Althouse said...

I'm so sorry, Judy. Pets are part of the family, even if just for a short time. I hope all works out for her.

Michele sent me...

Mike

Mahala said...

Awwww.. *hugs* for the wee one and one for the little girl who lost her cocker spaniel so many years ago :)

Carolyn said...

Awwww, how sad for everyone! But maybe she didn't have time to get attached, but still...

I know that kind of little girl heartbreak feeling too. I hope the new puppy will be healthy and with her a very long time!

Rick said...

Aw-w-w... puppies and grandchildren. Does it get any better?

AC said...

Each pet we have lost remains in our hearts today. I know there's a lesson to be learned through the death of pets, yet, I'd just as soon not know it.

Last Friday I thought one of our dogs had suffered a stroke, she suddenly on the morning walk started staggering and her back legs just dropped out from under her. It turned out to be canine vestibular disease, an inner ear (or brain -- worst case) disorder that onsets acutely and leaves slowly (if it does). The good news is that yestderday, she was way better, either adjusting to the balance disarray or it went away. For several days, she just lay up against the house in the shade. I had to feed her out of my hand and hold the water bowl up to her.

I was trying to steel my self against her loss and it wasn't working. Give your granddaughter a hug from me, a fellow dog lover. You too, because I know how hard it is to watch someone you love grieve.

Beverly said...

Oh, my, that is just so hard for anyone, especially a little girl. I hope things take a turn for the better soon.

sage said...

I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter's dog. We had one dog that got bit by a snake once, she survived, but I remember caring for her. Another was stolen--for the longest time I'd go out and call her, but she was gone. I pray the new puppy will bring her great joy.

utenzi said...

Dogs, even at the best of times, don't live long enough. It's a true shame.

srp said...

I am so sorry to hear about your granddaughter's puppy. When I was little, my chihuahua died when he aspirated as well. Makes you wonder if this is a problem for that breed more than others. Of course he was only there at the vet because I had stepped on his foot. (I was three)

OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

That is just horrible, Judy...! I hope your Grandughter isn't too traumitized by this...! They certainly have not had very goood luck her, have they? Sad...so very sad.

dakotablueeyes said...

oh that's so sad

Thumper said...

It's hard enough to lose a pet when you're a grownup...losing one when you're little is just unfair. I hope getting a new puppy isn't too bittersweet for her.

tiff said...

Oh no. That stinks.

I remember being about 7 and adopting a kitten from next door, only to find out that my mom and older brother were allergic. I cried for a day when we had to give Smokey back.

I did get over it, but still remember that feeling vividly.

here's hoping they can find some other doggie to love

leslie said...

Break my heart!!!

Why do pets have to die? It's so hard to handle. I hope your granddaughter will be ok.

And I hope that the person who poisoned your puppy got what was coming to him.

leslie said...

oops!

here via michele

barbie2be said...

oh, that is so sad. i would be lost if anything happened to my Moo.

Jennifer said...

:-(

I'm so sorry, Kenju. Loss is a tough lesson, at any age.

rosemary said...

I sure hope that the breeder will give your g/daughter another dog that wil well and at no cost. What a brave little girl. My first dog Penny was shipped of to Uncle Bill's who wasn't an uncle at all...but I know she went to a great place.

Blitz Krieg said...

I'm not a dog person and I still think this sucks.

margalit said...

such a heartbreaking post, Judy. It seems so unfair to the poor puppy, too. I hope this is a good breeder that will exchange the puppy. Backyard breeders usually won't.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I'm so sorry that your granddaughter had to get such sad news Judy. I know she'll bounce back from this hard lesson. Hugs to her...and you.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

That's so sad! We've been thru that at our house (with pets and dying) and our son (9) has seemed to bounce back okay. I hope your grand daughter does too.

Farrago said...

If you've read my blog at all in the last two weeks, you know my heartbreak. I've never lost a pet to sudden illness or the mismatch with an automobile. I guess I'm fortunate that way. But, of losing a pet or commissioning its death, I don't know which would be worse.

They both suck immensely, I'm sure.

carli said...

I don't want to sound preachy, or like an expert, but aren't puppies automatically supposed to be dewormed before going home with a family? If I were your son (or daughter?) I'd look into this--and perhaps ask the vet what else to look out for--before adopting another puppy from the same breeder.

Buffy said...

Poor little dear. We sometimes forget how tramatising things like this can be to little ones.

Crimson said...

SOOOOOOOO sad. What is the deal with the breeder??!!